Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:18:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: opinions about Neomagic 256AV graphic chip

> I am going to purchase a PC portable. One of the models I am
> considering carries a Neomagic 256AV chip. I know that it is
> supported by XFree86 now, but I would like to hear from people
> using it: quality, speed (at 16bpp and 24bpp), etc.

I'm using Neomagic 256AV (NM2200) with 2.5Mb RAM, running at 16bpp @
1024x768. Running Xfree 3.3.3.1 & enlightenment 0.15.5/fvwm2.

This is my work system (ie use it all day, every day), and its great.
Admittedly, I don't tend to push the machine too hard, but speed seems
fine, and quality as good as I've seen. No 3D, though, which
is a bit of a bummer...

Don't count on getting the integrated audio controller working, though.
Even OSS doesn't give *guaranteed* support.

Nick.