Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:08:17 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        GLOBALLINK2001@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem

GLOBALLINK2001@aol.com wrote:

> Hey guys ; what is a good externel modem to buy for FreeBSD i can be sure
> will work without problems? I have been told U. S. Robotics is good but i
> want some more opinions. Thanks

MODEMS FOR NEWBIES

There are three types of modems commonly in use in the PC industry:
external modems, internal component modems, and internal winmodems. The
first two modems will work under any PC operating system. The latter
will only work under Windows. Winmodems are bad things, even for Windows
users. Telling the difference between a component modem (good) and an
internal modem (evil) can be hard.

But so far as I know, no external modem relies on software. If your OS
can access the serial port then they will work with no problems. I
personally prefer external modems.

David