Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 16:21:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        isp-marketing@sparknet.net
Subject:   Re: New Telco Charges?

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Michael Dillon wrote:

> Go to the library and look up 47 CFR Section 69.115(e)(4) and (e)(6)
> or ask your lawyer about this.

> I am somewhat limited in my ability to
> research this since I am not in the USA.

Thanks to Jessica at blarg.net here is 47 CFR Section 69.115

-HEAD-
    Sec. 69.115 Special access surcharges.
-TEXT-
      (a) Pending the development of techniques accurately to measure
    usage of exchange facilities that are interconnected by users with
    means of interstate or foreign telecommunications, a surcharge that
    is expressed in dollars and cents per line termination per month
    shall be assessed upon users that subscribe to private line
    services or WATS services that are not exempt from assessment
    pursuant to paragraph (e) of this section.
      (b) Such surcharge shall be computed to reflect a reasonable
    approximation of the carrier usage charges which, assuming
    non-premium interconnection, would have been paid for average
    interstate or foreign usage of common lines, end office facilities,
    and transport facilities, attributable to each Special Access line
    termination which is not exempt from assessment pursuant to
    paragraph (e) of this section.
      (c) If the association, carrier or carriers that file the tariff
    are unable to estimate such average usage for a period ending May
    31, 1985, the surcharge for such period shall be twenty-five
    dollars ($25) per line termination per month.
      (d) A telephone company may propose reasonable and
    nondiscriminatory end user surcharges, to be filed in its federal
    access tariffs and to be applied to the use of exchange facilities
    which are interconected by users with means of interstate or
    foreign telecommunication which are not provided by the telephone
    company, and which are not exempt from assessment pursuant to
    paragraph (e) of this section.  Telephone companies which wish to
    avail themselves of this option must undertake to use reasonable
    efforts to identify such means of interstate or foreign
    telecommunication, and to assess end user surcharges in a
    reasonable and nondiscriminatory manner.
      (e) No special access surcharges shall be assessed for any of the
    following terminations:
      (1) The open end termination in a telephone company switch of an
    FX line, including CCSA and CCSA-equivalent ONALs;
      (2) Any termination of an analog channel that is used for radio
    or television program transmission;
      (3) Any termination of a line that is used for telex service;
      (4) Any termination of a line that by nature of its operating
    characteristics could not make use of common lines; and
      (5) Any termination of a line that is subject to carrier usage
    charges pursuant to Sec. 69.5.
      (6) Any termination of a line that the customer certifies to the
    exchange carrier is not connected to a PBX or other device capable
    of interconnecting a local exchange subscriber line with the
    private line or WATS access line.
    (47 U.S.C. 154 (i) and (j), 201, 202, 203, 205, 218 and 403 and 5
    U.S.C. 553)
    (48 FR 43019, Sept. 21, 1983, as amended at 49 FR 7829, Mar. 2,
    1984; 51 FR 10841, Mar. 31, 1986; 52 FR 8259, Mar. 17, 1987)

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com