Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 18:55:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@feldman.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C++ libs are broken

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:

> You know, I'm surprised I've only seen this twice (cut out the damn
> stackable FS talk, so we can talk about what's happening NOW!), and have
> noticed it quite a bit myself, that the newest C++ libraries ARE BROKEN! I
> wish someone might pay a tiny bit of attention to this, because it's
> really annoying (2.2.5-RELEASE's C++ libs are less than fully functional
> to use). Might someone want to see what commit changes have been made and
> fix these libraries?

Keep some perspective ... current's been the target of some folks who
abused the privilege, but the stuff about the filesystems IS a good, and
really interesting "current" topic.  You can ask about the C++ libs, but
not at the expense of what others are doing ... that's selfish.

Besides, if you're reading the commit mail, you know that the C++ libs
are currently the topic of a lot of work, they haven't been badly busted
all that long, give them some time.  They already know things are
unstable (the reason is because the ELF stuff *and* the Alpha stuff are
both hitting the C++ libs at the same time) so this just calls for a
little patience.  A heads up ("this is broken") is a good thing, but not
calling off debate of important topics in design.

> -Brian Feldman
> brianfeldman@hotmail.com

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |