Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 08:35:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        mbranch@svpal.org (Mike Branch)
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the UNIX hole

In a previous message, Mike Branch said:
> hi,
>   there used to be a space in the high memory area, where
> device bios often loaded in a non-contiguous fashion.
> This was refered to as "the hole." (as I understand it).
> I think it is between the end of the kernel and the system
> bios (f000 on x86).  Please correct me if you know different.
>
> Mike

The "hole" you mean is from 640k to 1Meg. Sure that's still there,
and always will be. That's the curse of the PC architecture. It
is simply solved by loading the kernel starting at 1M.

--
The role of the military is not to be a repository for the silly social
issues of the day, but to kill people and break things. -- Rush Limbaugh