Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:48:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      GReg meno <kbagel@yahoo.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does linux emulation work in 4.0 ?

--- Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> GReg meno writes:
>  > I had FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT installed a little
> while ago
>  >
>  > but went back to linux because. linux emulation
> did
>  > not seem to be there( some programs I can't live
>  > without).
>  > Are there plans for this in the near future, I'd
> love
>  > to help as my spring semester in college is
> almost out
>  > and I can now take to doing things that aren't
> school.
>  >
>  > TIA
>  > Greg Meno
>  >

> I started it, and then ran out of time, I'll
> probably get back to it
> later this spring, or early summer.  You can get
> what I've done from:

> http://www.freebsd.org/~gallatin/linux-alpha.diff.gz
> http://www.freebsd.org/~gallatin/linux-alpha.tar.gz
>
> The diff is diffs to the kernel module build
> directory and
> sys/i386/linux to support alpha.  The tar file is
> sys/alpha/linux.
> This was done in mid-late March against a
> pre-release 4.0.  It should
> apply to 4.0-RELEASE w/o too much effort.
>
> You'll need to pull linux-base version 5.2 out of
> CVS to do anything
> useful.  I'm using 5.2 for two reasons:
>
> One, I'd like to be able to run em86 -- the fx!32
> equiv for
> Linux/alpha that allows running Linux/i386 binaries
> like Acroread.
> This supposedly only works with 5.2.  It doesn't
> work yet under
> emulation.  The x86 app makes about 4 system calls &
> segvs.  Sigh.

	em86 has been something of a problem in alpha/linux
land, I really don't think it's very useful right now.
I think some are still working on making it work with
the new glibc. You should be able to run Acroread
through DU/OSF1/Tru64 emulation. It works well this
way in linux.

> I'm also using 5.2 because of a really bizzare
> problem I'm having.
> For some reason, when a linux signal handler
> returns, it calls #344 &
> then exits rather than calling #103 (#103 is their
> sigreturn too,
> because it is osf's).  I'm using our sigcode.. This
> has me totally
> stumped.  I'm looking for help here.
>
> Rather than tracking it down, I've changed #344
> (linux_getresgid) to
> call sigreturn().  This means we cannot run any RH
> 6.1 until this is
> tracked down.
>
> If you make any progress, please let me know.

	I should get sometime to look at it around wednesday.

Thanks
Greg meno