Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 19:53:26 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Alpha

> I'm not speaking for Sequent, or visa-versa.

I think you missed my fundamental point.  I wasn't attacking Sequent's
use of the x86, I was simply trying to make it clear that one's choice
of a given architecture to back can't always be made on purely
technical grounds.

> > It's not so much where ALPHA is now that worries me, it's where it
> > will be in 3-5 years.
>
> Ever hear of a self-fullfilling prophesy?

Ah c'mon, as if this were the customer's fault...  Digital could have
buggered up a wet dream when it came to marketing and properly
supporting any new technology they were trying to advance, and the
ALPHA was certainly no exception.  The marketing and general
positioning for it was classic DEC "make the wrong moves, wait until
just after the last minute to finally realize this and then do too
little, too late about it", and there was never a united front that I
could see behind making it an easy architecture for developers to
support.

This is not to say that I hate Digital - far from it - just about
every machine I've ever really admired came from that company.  It
simply vexes me that there couldn't have been a lot MORE to my
dealings with such a promising company over the years, the limitations
on this generally being a direct result of various shortcomings in
Digital's upper-level management.  Olson, for example, was openly
hostile to the whole workstation concept and his "there can be Only
One OS and its name is VMS" attitude hardly helped the company's Unix
strategy.  Palmer, in turn, seems to have spent more of his time
dodging falling masonry than in trying to articulate a workstation &
server software strategy, and all the while you have these various DEC
IBUs wandering around essentially rudderless on the whole issue.  "Are
we selling hardware?  Are we selling software?  Is that OS in
competition with us or helping us?  We don't know and the people up to
don't know either."

Perhaps the acquisition by Compaq will result in the right kind of
shakeup in DEC's management structure, I don't know.  One can only
hope so.

					Jordan