Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:17:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dgb driver update

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 03:14:01AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:05:29AM +0300, Oleg Sharoiko wrote:
> > >
> > > you could use send-pr to make the proposed patch visible in the
> > > bug tracking database
> >
> > Submit it to the PR database.
> >
> > It can get in line behind the other almost 3000 open PR's, 65% of
> > which are ports, 30% of which are against kern, and for which many
> > contain patches, but have not been committed (yes, I am skeptical
> > about the effectiveness of "send-pr", and will probably remain so,
>
> You have every right to be sceptical. I'm unfortunately just as
> sceptical about a patch floating in a random mailing list.
>
> Rock & a hard place :(

The best way is to send a pr and then followup on mailing lists as
appropriate or perhaps by contacting the maintainer.  The PR provides
history for a given problem and patch and the followup initiates action on
behalf of the committers.  It's important to get someone to take up the
"responsible" field before any action can happen.

BTW, the number of PRs is not totally the fault of committers.  I've been
scanning through the DB with about 50% of my FreeBSD-time and fixing
things that I find there.  However, it has taken about 3x as long as I
expected to commit a patch because almost all of them are very incomplete
and actually are more a suggestion on an area that needs improvement, not
a fix.

-Nate