Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 07:20:10 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>, FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Local CVS repository, the final frontier

On 2002-02-23 06:41, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 02:40:33PM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Ok..updating src from my local network repository, no problem
> > But what command do I give to 'cvs' to update the /usr/ports
> > collection from the network repository (which is updated nightly).
> > I have spent all morning, thinking and trying and I am damned if
> > I can get it to work a la cvsupit (i.e. update changed ports).
> > I realise that ports is not under cvs as such, is there some
> > magic to get it to just replace older files with newer ones.
> > Or do I need to write a find script..whatever ?
>
> I'm not sure I understand. The ports are under CVS control just as
> much as any other part of FreeBSD. You say you have a local
> repository? Why not just cvsup(1) the ports (if you are not already)
> and just use cvs(1) the same way?

You can add the ports-all collection to the collections that are updated in
the CVS repository mirror.  Then, after cvsup is finished bringing the
ports/ tree in your CVS mirror, you can use cvs to update /usr/ports.

1. To check out a copy of ports under /usr (paying attention not to nuke
   /usr/ports/distfiles and all the downloaded sources):

	# cd /usr
	# mv ports/distfiles .
	# rm -fr ports
	# cvs -q -d /home/ncvs checkout ports
	# mv distfiles ports

2. To update the ports collection with CVS after the initial checkout:

	# cd /usr/ports
	# cvs -q up -APd

If you remove some of the directories under /usr/ports (for instance, I
don't care about /usr/ports/chinese since I don't use any chinese ports)
you can remove those subdirectories of /usr/ports and only cvs `update' the
remaining subdirectories:

	# cd /usr/ports
	# cvs -q up -APd *

Giorgos Keramidas                           FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}      http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/