Date:      Sun, 03 May 2020 09:56:02 -0500
From:      "Brandon Bergren" <bdragon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "FreeBSD PowerPC ML" <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_svn_commit:_r360233_-_in_head:_contrib/jemalloc_._._._:_Th?= =?UTF-8?Q?is_partially_breaks_a_2-socket_32-bit_powerpc_(old_PowerMac_G?= =?UTF-8?Q?4)_based_on_head_-r360311?=

On Sun, May 3, 2020, at 9:38 AM, Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc wrote:

> Observing and reporting the reverting result is an initial
> part of problem isolation. I made no request for FreeBSD
> to give up on using the updated jemalloc. (Unfortunately,
> I'm not sure what a good next step of problem isolation
> might be for the dual-socket PowerMac G4 context.)

I appreciate this testing btw. The only dual-socket G4 I have (my xserve g4) does not have the second socket populated, so I am currently unable to test two-socket ppc32.

> Other than reverting, no patch is known for the issue at
> this point. More problem isolation is needed first.
>
> While I do not have access, https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc
> lists more modern 32-bit powerpc hardware as supported:
> MPC85XX evaluation boards and AmigaOne A1222 (powerpcspe).
> (The AmigaOne A1222 seems to be dual-ore/single-socket.)

jhibbits has an A1222 that is used as an actual primary desktop, and I will hopefully have one at the end of the year. And I have an RB800 that I use for testing.

powerpcspe is really a different beast than aim32 though. I have been mainly working on aim32 on g4 laptops, although I do have an xserve.

> So folks with access to one of those may want to see
> if they also see the problem(s) with head -r360233 or
> later.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this continues to be down to the timebase skew somehow. I know that jemalloc tends to be sensitive to time problems.

> Another interesting context to test could be single-socket
> with just one core. (I might be able to do that on another
> old PowerMac, booting the same media after moving the
> media.)

That's my primary aim32 testing platform. I have a stack of g4 laptops that I test on, and a magically working usb stick (ADATA C008 / 8GB model. For some reason it just works, I've never seen another stick actually work)

> If I understand right, the most common 32-bit powerpc
> tier 2 hardware platforms may still be old PowerMac's.
> They are considered supported and "mature", instead of
> just "stable". See https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc .
> However, the reality is that there are various problems
> for old PowerMacs (32-bit and 64-bit, at least when
> there is more than one socket present). The wiki page
> does not hint at such. (I'm not sure about
> single socket/multi-core PowerMacs: no access to
> such.)

Yes, neither I nor jhibbits have multiple socket g4 hardware at the moment, and I additionally don't have multiple socket g5 either.

--
  Brandon Bergren
  bdragon@FreeBSD.org