Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:17:46 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <rjmcintire@iceland-c.it.earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: News...

> Date:          Thu, 17 Apr 1997 21:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
> From:          Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
> To:            freebsd-isp@freeBSD.org
> Subject:       Re: News...

> On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Sysadmin wrote:
>
> >  And who is this "we" who will "manage" Usenet?
>
> Pretty much the same people that manage it now. USENET is not utter chaos
> but is actually quite organized by many volunteers. Even the alt.*
> hierarchy is organized, just using different policies than the main
> hierarchies.
>
> > I don't have any problem with "cancelmoose" type enforcment of *limited*
> > content-neutral rules generally accepted by Usenet's user-owners.  But I
> > do with anyone who thinks they have the right to prevent or inhibit its
> > use by others, or to modify it simply because that would make it easier
> > to carry. But I'm starting to get the impression that this thread's real
> > intent is to eliminate newsgroups which are unwanted and at the same
> > time not have to provide them to those getting newsfeeds, and prevent
> > others from carrying them as well, lest the customers vote with their
> > feet and go to the other providers.  Fsck that idea. You don't want the
> > group, don't carry it, but if others do, don't grouse about their
> > choice.
>
> I was going to answer this but on second thought, you seem to firmly
> believe that the sound of black helicopters is getting near so I think
> I'll pass.

I'll take a shot at it.  It's not so much denying newsfeed to those
who want it , but misuse and abuse of the mechanism used to
 distribute it.

This mechanism, nntp, is costing ISPs in time, money and bandwidth
because the alt groups are *pushing* large binaries through servers
 for a minority(???) of users.  In a way, it is  broadcast--not to the
user, but to the ISP.  The content providers are using the ISPs disk
space and bandwidth for their own products.

Use of a broadcast media should be by subscription--for instance the
push content on the Web--one subscribes to it.  But the point is, if
one doesn't subscribe, it doesn't bog down an ISP's servers--it stays
on the publishers (or originators) servers.  Keeps the responsibility
for content where it should be, too.  At the source.

Now, one does subscribe to newsgroups, but the point is the overhead
of transmission and administration is on the ISP, not the content
provider.   And the gun is at the ISP's head:  Subscribe (or provide)
these groups, or become liable for content and lose customers
because you don't carry the groups they want.

In a sense, this is an issue of not only rational use of available
resources, but also one of placing responsibility on the content
provider at the source.

So, change how large binaries are distributed.  Use web push
tecnology.  Use ftp.   Use news for what it was intended:  text
messages and discussion.  And incidently put the onus of content
responsibility at the source.

Damn!  Didn't expect to write that much!

Cheers,

Riley