Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:57:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Mitchell <skeezix@skeleton.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How far to go with jailing?

 	Strikes me that setting up jails for bloody-well-every-other
service might be 'fun' ..

 	Jail the webserver; seems a logical break, and keep you honest for
your partitioning. No more ~/public_html to access it I suppose, but much
mroe secure for when people attack your wordpress etc.

 	Jail the 'email services'; use fetchmail to pull down to the jail,
and IMAP and POP3 to serve the mail even to local clients; nice clean
email mini-server right there in the jail?

 	Jail SMB-serving, so if attacked it still can only serve the
content in the very well defined area.

 	Jail the mailing list (mailman etc) .. keep things nice and clean.

 	But is setting up a whole stack of jails a pain? a performance
problem? or just un-necessary overkill? Or a good idea?

 		jeff

--
If everyone would put barbecue sauce on their food, there would be no war.