Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:11:17 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
Cc:        "'Hiroki Sato'" <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: <citerefentry> vs. &man.command.section

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

If memory serves me right, Lucky Green wrote:
> Hiroki Sato wrote:
> > shamrock> 2) Is it required that every time a FreeBSD command is=20
> > shamrock> mentioned the command _must_ be surrounded by the <command>=
=20
> > shamrock> tags? I have explanatory text paragraphs in which gbde is=20
> > shamrock> mentioned multiple times and having all these bold=20
> > instances=20
> > shamrock> of gbde in the same paragraph looks strange to me=20
> > (in the html=20
> > shamrock> output).
> >=20
> >  Hmmm, could you please show an example?
>=20
> First of all, sorry for the mental typo. I meant to say <application>,
> not <command>.
>=20
> Here is an example of some text that I wrote that I believe may be too
> cluttered with bold face terms when rendered as HTML:

(or PDF or...)

> <sect2>
> <title>Compatibility issues</title>
> <para>&man.sysinstall.8; is incompatible with
> <application>gbde</application>-encrypted devices. All
> <application>gbde</application> devices must be detached from the kernel
> before launching <application>sysinstall</application> or
> <application>sysinstall</application> will crash during its initial
> probing for devices. To detach the <application>gbde</application>
> device used in our example, use the following command:
> </para>
> </screen>
> </sect2>

Hmmm.  I'm not real happy with the above markup either.  If it was me,
I would have done the markup like this:

<sect2>
<title>Compatibility issues</title>
<para>&man.sysinstall.8; is incompatible with
&man.gbde.4;-encrypted devices. All
&man.gbde.4; devices must be detached from the kernel
before launching &man.sysinstall.8; or
&man.sysinstall.8; will crash during its initial
probing for devices. To detach the &man.gbde.4;
device used in our example, use the following command:
</para>
</screen>
</sect2>

That's still a little repetitive, but better than before.  (Note that
the original author might have written this before the gbde(4) manpage
was added to the tree.)

I generally use the <application></application> elements when
referring to a software package as a whole and manpage entities when
referring to specific executables.  The FDP Primer (look for
"In-line Elements") has a pretty good example of this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/sgml-markup-doc=
book.html

Bruce.

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4