Date:      06 Mar 2002 15:36:46 -0800
From:      "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/35606: date(1) page doesn't say which clock(s) it sets.

>Number:         35606
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       date(1) page doesn't say which clock(s) it sets.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

The date(1) man page doesn't say which of the CMOS/motherboard and
CPU/OS clocks the program sets (it sets both), which is less than
helpful to those used to other operating systems (eg, Linux) where
the clocks may be set separately (which is considered a feature, not a
bug, by many who've thought about it much).  Despite what some long-
time Unix SA my think, it's not obvious that "date" should change
the CMOS/motherboard clock too.

Of less importance, it also doesn't say which of the two clocks it
is reporting on when it displays "the time".  Few will guess wrong,
but man pages should not assume good guessing.
>How-To-Repeat:
n/a
>Fix:

Explain that "date" sets both the CMOS/motherboard and the CPU/OS
clocks.  Explain that it only reports on the CPU/OS clock.