Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 15:50:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

> [
> Moving the installation of the boot manager to a different spot on the
> install menu
> ]
>
> Terry, notice *what* the subject is.  It's not about changing how things
> are done, but *when* things are done. :)

That would be "Re: More nits".

Your bracketed text paraphrase was not part of the original text Jordan
posted about:

And the partition editor is fdisk.

> > > Excuse me?!  What does adding a boot manager have to do with logical
> > > volume device mapping?
> >
> > It has to do with what the hell belongs in a partitioning tool, and
> > writing a boot manager is one of the things that damn well doesn't.
>
> That's where your *wrong*.   There is no other place to put it.  It is
> something that is *directly* related to the partition, because the MBR
> tells the *PC-HW* what partition to boot from.

This is writing the partition table, not the MBR code.

> [ Irrelevant ranting about fdisk and devfs deleted ]
>
> Since *NONE* of this stuff is relevant until *after* FreeBSD is booted,
> how is at all related to the partition menu?  The MBR stuff is necessary
> for the PC hardware, and once FreeBSD is running it's no longer an
> issue.

So now FreeBSD is not running when the install takes place?  BZZZZZZZT.

> > > Terry's off in space again!! :-)
> >
> > Hardly.  It's Jordan who wants to jam a PC specific, single logical
> > layer specific *wart* into the nice, clean, system independent fdisk
> > interface that would otherwise work for AIX, SunOS, OSF/1, and other
> > OS's so we can *FINALLY* abstract the idiotic, limited, BIOS geometry
> > dependent DOS partition crap.
>
> Huh?  Moving where he installs the MBR to a different spot on the menu
> is hardly adding a *wart* to the slice API.

Making it a default prompt after editing the partitions in fdisk would be.

> Sit back and breathe a bit and think about what's being said, and forget
> a little bit about what you want down.  They are unrelated, so long
> posts about what you want that have *nothing* to do with what is being
> said only confuse.

Ditto.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org