Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 22:05:57 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMTP gateway clients

At 01:51 PM 4/25/97 +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>Not so,  You can locally receive mail into a mailbox using sendmail,
>and then spawn a process that talks SMTP to send it to the customer
>when they log in and you know their ip address.
>
>Problems:
>	* Remembering the envelope so that you can reconstruct it!
>	* Cussing and swearing because end user Microsoft machine's
>	  have fun and games with dynamic Ip addresses and mail servers! :)

This smells of a custom solution, which means there is a "how" and it takes
some work.  There always is a how, but something special should cost the
customer for the time it takes.  ;-)

A few customers have wanted dial-up SMTP, but I'd not want to try the
dynamic IP route.  As is, one customer went from plain dial-up to dedicated
for the problems on their end (also do to poor work from their consultant),
which at least was not my problem.  Still I did conference in several
support calls and I found no end of humor in the fact that the tech from
CCMail said SMTP on a non-dedicated connection is, well, discouraged.

Personally I thought of something similar for one customer, but they didn't
like the extra fee idea, even though I didn't name a price.  8-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990