Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 16:53:00 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        lute@willinet.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: browzers

Lute Mullenix wrote:

> I have been wondering about that, I don't particularly like KDE but I
> do like the apps that come with it, have used the address book and
> calendar for a long time and both of the editors, the cd player, well
> you get the idea, but I do this all just on top of Icewm, and just on
> Linux so far, just getting started with FreeBSD, and hope to migrate to
> it completely by the end of the year. I really would like to try Kword
> the word processor that is supposed to be in the Koffice suite, but
> don't really want to load the full KDE install unless I have to, since
> I won't use it. Any idea of just how much a fellow would have to
> install to get the apps up and running?

I would wait for KWord. It's still alpha quality. But somehow, being
included with KDE makes people think it's finished.

In any case, all you would need to run most KDE applications is qt2,
kdesupport, and kdelibs. For the rest of them, you will need to add
kdebase. No need to install kdeadmin, kdegames, kdenetwork, etc. Useful,
but not necessary, are java and openssl for Konqueror.

I think Konqueror alone is well worth the price of these additional
libraries. It's like taking the best of NS/IE/WE without all of the
kruft.

David