Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2006 08:07:29 -0700
From:      "Amitakhya Phukan" <amitakhya@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with my laptop Acer Aspire 3003

Dear Sir,

I recently bought an Acer Aspire 3003 laptop (3 months back). I am basically
a Linux enthusiast. I decided to try some distros and then I got hold of
FreeBSD 5.2.1 and PC-BSD. I could install both within 10 mins each. But
FreeBSD won't give me graphical login. I found that I had to recompile my
kernel (after I posted this problem in FreeBSD forums). Anyway, let me tell
you this first that I had a Matsushita DVD-Dual drive from where I run the
CDs. Anyway, then there was a problem with the Dual drive and the service
center people replaced it -- this time with a Slimtype DVD Dual. But now the
problem starts -- I can't install FreeBSD 5.2.1 and PCBSD. I mean, it
formats the drive etc; but when it comes to transfering the files, it can't.
I doubted a hardware compatibility issue and after we tried a lot of
combinations in the service center, the people said it was a mother board
problem. They replaced the mother board and still the problem persisted.
Then they replaced the Slimtype with a Pioneer DVD Dual and this time, I
could get FreeBSD 5.2.1 and PCBSD install. But the problem is that FreeBSD
6.1 won't be installed. I downloaded the ISO from your ftp site. When it
starts with "Transferring GENERIC into /boot", the transfer rate is 0.2-1KB/sec
and then it says write failure. Please help me out. No one is replying to my
queries in the forum. Has it got something to do with my DVD drive? I can't
understand when I can get FreeBSD 5.2.1 installed from the Pioneer DVD Dual,
what's the problem with the FreeBSD 6.1 that I downloaded? It is 505 MB in
size. I think it is the right size.

I would also like to request you to kindly give me some contact from where I
can get the latest release of FreeBSD. If it was the problem because of
downloading, then it will happen in subsequent downloads.

The details of the Acer laptop can be got here :
http://www.acer.co.in/products/notebooks/aspire3003.html

Thanks and regards,
Amitakhya Phukan.

Amitakhya Phukan