Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:09:27 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

On Sunday 18 July 2004 04:49 am, Glyn Tebbutt <d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 04:18, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 July 2004 07:46 pm, Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Also, I have a 2MHz AthlonXP
> >
> > Er ... that's supposed to be 2GHz, but I don't think Athlon ever made a
> > 2MHz CPU, so you probably knew that ...
> >
> > - jt
>
> Thanks very much for the detailed answer, i will most sure try this out
> today, i really wish i could figure out what was causing my kernel panic
> with those nvidia drivers.

I've heard of this happening to other people, though honestly I don't know
what might be causing it. I've also heard that other people have solved this
problem by upgrading to X.org, but I can't make any guarantees about how well
that might work for you. My Asus mobo has nvidia hardware for the AGP slot,
but the actual card is made by ATI, so I haven't had any personal experience
with dealing with it.

BTW, just today I installed Firefox, and I ran pkgdb -F to fix stale
dependencies on XFree86. However, in doing so I also discovered that the
reason docproj wasn't working as I installed it is because it also had stale
dependencies on XFree86. If you are familiar with the interactive way you can
fix these issues with pkgdb -F, then you shouldn't have any problems, but you
should check if there are issues whenever you install or update applications,
just in case. I knew Firefox depended on XFree86 by the build and clean
messages, but I wasn't paying attention during the docproj build. Anyhoot,
like I said before installing X.org now means an extra step or two on your
part after installing X dependent apps, but it also shouldn't be an issue
when the next STABLE is released.

> And yes i did realise the mistake, i think 10mhz was there slowest thou

Really? I wasn't aware Athlon had been around that long ...

- jt