Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:54:02 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?utf-8?q?Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Sverre Svenningsen <ss.alert@online.no>, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Subject:   Re: may I commit this small umodem patch ?

On Monday 28 July 2008 06:06:28 pm Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:
> Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au> writes:
> > Sverre Svenningsen <ss.alert@online.no> wrote:
> > > Is current@freebsd.org just an alias to freebsd-current@freebsd.org ?
> > Yes.  There are some MUAs that have broken list-handling functionality
> > and cannot be configured to recognize list aliases.
>=20
> Uh, no.  No MUA can "recognize list aliases" as it would require
> knowledge of what software the receiving MX runs and how it is
> configured.
>=20
> No MUA needs to "recognize list aliases" either.  As long as they reply
> to the address listed in the original email's From: field (and
> optionally to those listed in the Cc: field), they will be fine.
>=20
> The culprit here is HPS, who added freebsd-current@ to the Cc: list.

Actually, kmail has "smarts" that will use the address from the 'List-Post'=
=20
header as the 'To' address and then 'cc' all the other recipients, with the=
=20
result that if an e-mail is originally sent to current@FreeBSD.org, when I =
do=20
a reply-all, it ends up going "To" freebsd-current@, and cc'ing current@ as=
=20
well as the original sender.  My request to have a knob to turn=20
this "feature" off has been denied by the kmail developers and I haven't=20
spent the time to devise a local patch yet.  Usually I delete the extra=20
e-mail address, but sometimes I miss it.

The "solution" the kmail folks think is appropriate is to explicitly config=
ure=20
a list of known aliases for each mailing list.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin