Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:38:31 -0400
From:      Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why FreeBSD over Redhat Linux?

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 02:14:31 -0400 (EDT)
"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:

> Nathan Mace writes:
>
> > as a recent convert from linux to freebsd...i can give you MANY reasons
> >
> > 1) RPM's suck....plain and simple.  the ports collection beats RPM in
> > every way
>
> Huh? The RPM system seems to work fine. Commonly people complain
> about using random RPM files off the net, but hey, that is like
> complaining that FreeBSD ports don't work so great on NetBSD.
> You can even get source RPM files, if you feel the urge to waste
> some CPU time.
>
> That said, Linux isn't stuck with RPMs. Here is how I upgrade a
> system with Debian to the very latest stuff:
>
> apt-get update     # download the latest package listing
> apt-get upgrade    # download and install anything that changed
>
> To install package "foo", I just do "apt-get install foo".
> By default I get PGP-signed binaries, but I could opt for
> source code instead.

what i meant by RPM's sucking is that you have to manually fix the dependecy problems.  i know debian can do it for you too, but i'm not a big debian fan

> > 2) the only way to upgrade from redhat 7.1 to 7.2(when it comes out)
> > is to wipe out everything and re-install.
>
> No, Red Hat supports an upgrade install. You boot from the CD-ROM,
> then tell the install program to do an upgrade instead of a fresh
> install. You MUST NOT try to upgrade from a pile of loose RPMs!
> Hmmm, I'm guessing that this is exactly what you did.
>
> If you would like to upgrade a live Linux system, you need to be
> running Debian. In that case, even /sbin/init and the C library
> may be fully upgraded without a reboot.

yes, the system i was trying to upgrade did have a number of 3rd party rpms installed, if thats what you mean.  but having a number of ports installed on bsd doesn't mess up an upgrade does it?  i think not

> > 3)last week we had a webserver crash(hardware failure) it was running
> > redhat 5.2.  we got a new hardrive, installed redhat 7.1 and guess
> > what?  between 5.2 and 7.1 they changed the filesystem so that the old
> > version couldn't read the newer version.  i'm not sure if this was
> > linux in general or redhat specifally.
>
> It's the same with BSD, in case you didn't know. Old versions of BSD
> can not read newer UFS filesystems due to the file type code feature.
> Elsewhere: MacOS got HFS+, Windows got FAT32 and NTFS, IRIX got XFS,
> AIX and OS/2 got a new JFS... An upgrade may have new features, OK?
> What a strange "problem" to be complaining about!

ok, you got me on that on.  i was just suprised thats all, i mean you NEVER hear of a linux boxnot reading a linux partition unless it's a damaged partition, which in this case it wasn't.

> > 4) ever tried to understand RH's /etc stucture?  talk about symlink
> > heaven
>
> This is the one true UNIX way. Red Hat looks pretty much like Solaris,
> UnixWare, IRIX, HP-UX, and every other real UNIX. Either RTFM, or just
> use the tksysv program to manage your run levels.

ummm...i just did an 'ls -l | more" in mt etc directory, and yes there are SOME symlink's but not like on a RH box.  can you honestly say that you think RH's /etc directory is easier to understand that freebsd's /etc directory?  not from i'm standing!