Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 19:47:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ramakant@novanet.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org

> There are several subscribers like me out there (I'm sure) whao are
> saying - "look at these snobs expecting people to follow complicated
> rules, can't they write a user-friendly Majrodomo that traps all such
> messages and does the needful, instead of sending such condescending
> smartass replies to subscribers ?"
> I did just that and discovered that I'm expected to email Majordomo@....
> saying unsusbcribe <list_name>. I wonder how many iterations still

We also expect a certain minimum committment to learning and following
our rules of mailing list etiquette, I'm afraid, and if you weren't
prepared to make that committment then you shouldn't have joined any
of our mailing lists in the first place.  This is all clearly
documented in the mailing list charters at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook,
along with instructions on unsubscribing from a list again.

You were also sent instructions on unsubscribing and managing your
list entry(s) when you first joined.  Knowing that you were expected
to email majordomo rather than this list (which is what prompted the
message you are referring to) should not, therefore, have come as any
kind of "discovery" and, again, if you aren't willing to read the
available documentation or follow the rules then simply don't use the
resources we provide.

It's *not* a lot for a free software project to ask that the greater
burden of administrative responsibility, especially when that burden
is clearly stated up-front, fall upon the user rather than the project
and the project has enough to do as it is.  There are easily several
dozen different areas in which our infrastructure could be made more
"idiot proof" if we had all the time and energy we wished to spend on
such things but, since that is not the case, our users will simply
have to be willing to hold up their end of the bargain.

						Jordan