Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk, sue@welearn.com.au
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User friendly system config program?

>Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:56:26 +1000
>From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>

>We tend to spend a lot of time using text editors on config files (hence my
>sig) which has advantages and disadvantages. For example, if you pull
>/etc/rc.conf into your favourite text editor, you can see and change a whole
>lot of stuff all at once, quicker than working your way through a series of
>menus. You have to be comfortable using a text editor first, though.

>Of course, both methods require you to know what you're doing. For me, menus
>give a dangerous impression that it's easy to do without understanding, and
>at the same time they limit what I can do when I do understand. My view,
>however, seems to be in the minority these days :-)

And using text files makes it easy to use the usual change-control
mechanisms (such as RCS) to track changes.

Although this could, I expect, be done with menus, it is something that
I haven't often (read: "ever") seen implemented.

david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 401-0168