Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:19:08 -0500
From:      Robert Sexton <robert@kudra.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adaptec 2940u2w hangs on external disks

On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 05:02:35PM +0100, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> A possibly related problem we've seen here: FreeBSD sometimes needs a
> hard reset (hit reset button) to reboot, while a software reboot will
> hang during bootup.
>
> This happens on FreeBSD boxes with 3.1R or 3.1-STABLE, onboard Adaptec
> 7890 U2W controller. Various (Seagate, IBM) LVD disks on LVD chain,
> *and* DAT on single-ended chain. Using verbose boot, we see that the
> hang occurs while probing the DAT and/or the CDROM player on the SE
> chain.

<aol>
I've seen this quite a few times recently, as of 3.1.
Last night in my machine (Symbios 875 & 895 COntrollers)
and two weeks ago in a customers machine (HP Netserver with build in
Adaptec EISA controller)
</aol>

I'll try to reproduce it this weekend at home and file a pr.

--
Robert Sexton, robert@kudra.com
FreeBSD - Quality BSD UNIX for Intel and Alpha that you don't