Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 10:47:11 -0300 (EST)
From:      Rodolfo Heitor Gevaerd de Faria <rodolfo@ravel.ufrj.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        macedo@ravel.ufrj.br (Sergio Ricardo Ferreira Macedo)
Subject:   ppbus broken in 3.1-RELEASE

 Hello,

  We had a HP LaserJet 4 Plus printer working perfectly in a
2.2.6-STABLE system using the old lpt driver. I've changed it
to a 3.1-RELEASE system and used the new ppbus driver.

  Then there was a problem in printing that sometimes strange characters
randomly showed in the printouts, I've tryed everything from changing
cables, printer memory, ghostscript version, paralel port configuration
(normal, ECP, EPP), and nothing worked. Finally I've tryed reversing
to the old lpt driver, and everything worked great.

  That seemed strange since I've already used a Canon Bubblejet printer
with the ppbus in an old pre 3.0-RELEASE system, I even had a paralel
Zip Drive with it.

  Had anyone out there the same problem ? I believe that's something
really dangerous, especially since you are planning to disable
permanentely the lpt driver.

	Rodolfo H G Faria
       <rodolfo@ravel.ufrj.br>