Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 21:52:36 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        jdl@chromatic.com
Cc:        Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rlogin on illegal port

In message <199508212017.PAA03194@chrome.onramp.net>, Jon Loeliger writes:
>OK, I'll ponder this one with you as I got this message the other day
>in /var/log/messages:

>    Aug 14 18:57:52 chrome named[65]: Lame delegation to 'hemi.com'
>    from [128.x.x.x] (server for 'hemi.com'?) on query on name 'hemi.com'

>Notice that this involves hemi.com and I too have bleeped the from addr.

>I haven't got a clue in the world what this means.  To be fair, I
>could easily have a *bad* DNS configuration here.  I'm working on that.

OK. This is one I can answer. It means that the server said it gave a
non-authorative answer, but it lists itself as being able to give an
authorative answer. Something like:

nslookup -qtyp=any hemi.com
Server: foo.bar.org
Address: 128.x.x.x

Non-authoritative answer:
hemi.com	internet address = 204.132.158.10

Authoratitive answers can be found from:
hemi.com	nameserver = foo.bar.org
hemi.com	nameserver = NS.hemi.com
foo.bar.org	internet address = 128.x.x.x
NS.hemi.com	internet address = 204.132.158.10

(actually, I just looked at your DNS entries, and I can see which host
 you bleeped :-) )

There can be a lot of reasons for this to happen. Best way is to
either contact the admin of the server in question and get him to fix
his config, or if he's not meant to be a secondary server, stop
listing it as an authoritative server.

>There were several such entries from different hosts.  It was during
>a time period when a non-FreeBSD mailing list I'm on was experiencing
>some majorly flakey problems.  I chalked it up to that.  Could this also
>be due to the FreeBSD mail-list flake the other day?

It's likely the mail lists, as sendmail verifies the address on the
To: and From: lines I think, which causes quite a bit of DNS
activity. who.cdrom.com (the nameserver that freefall.FreeBSD.ORG
uses) logs a lot of lame delegations as a result of the mail traffic
through freefall...

Hope this helps

Gary