Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "A. Randle" <anne-randle.itsd@vin1.dudley.gov.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliancy

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, A. Randle wrote:

> Please can you let me know the situation regarding FreeBSD software levels
> and year 2000 compliancy ?   (e.g.  Does any exist ?  If not, is it likely
> to soon ?)

As far as I know, all UNIX-style operating systems, including FreeBSD, are
immune to the year 2000 problems since they track time by counting seconds
since January 1, 1970.  UNIX systems won't have a problem until the year
2018 or so, when the 32-bit variable that holds the value rolls over.  By
then, the variable will most definitely be increased to 64 bits.

Individual system utilities and external programs may not necessarily be
immune, however.  If problems are found then they will be fixed
immediately.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo