Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 02:23:48 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

> What I'm saying is that my hostname doesn't have a DNS entry in the "outside
> world" and therefore sending a message from my machine is automatically an

Which you simply need to fix.  If you are in a situation where your
hostname is entirely ficticious then set some other machine as your
mail relay and do what most BigCorps do when they have legions of
machines they'd rather not expose directly and 2 or 3 mail servers
which collect and send out mail on their behalf.  This problem _has_
been solved, and most ISPs also have a mail host for their customers
which allows this kind of relaying. :-)

> I'm just a little annoyed at people who insist of having the sending machine
> call itself a valid hostname, just to cut down on spam.

Better get used to it - it's one of the single best ways of filtering
out The Bogus Ones who would flood our mailboxes with adverts for teen
sex and tax evasion kits, and I've been discussing the idea of turning
this on for freebsd.org with our postmaster for some time now.

To sum it up: The problem of spammers using bogus names to hide behind
is a far, far greater problem than not being able to send mail to
those comparatively few individuals without valid hostnames, so using
the "99.9% vs .1%" value rule, you simply lose. :-)

					Jordan