Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 00:08:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reliable modems? - How about if I do this...?

Thanks to the many kind folks for their replies.
I had about 5 replies in favor of USR Couriers,
and a couple for MultiTech, and several others as well.

We have decided to spend a bunch of $$$ to do some tests to help us
decide. So what I'll do for now is to buy a handfull of various vendors'
modems and test them against each other (various permutations and
combinations). To speed things along, I'll probably post a bunch of
questions in the like of "This XXX modem won't talk to FreeBSD, .....??"
Oh, and if anyone would like to suggest what tests I should include, I would
certainly appreciate it. Any pitfalls, hazards and common mistakes to
watch out for too, thanks.

When I'm done, I'll put up the results for everyone to take pot shots at :)
(Heck, if all are in reasonable agreement, it might even make it to the FAQ).
If anyone has any other modems/vendors to reccommend, I'll try my best to
get it too (subject to it being available locally or at least via a North
American distribution warehouse/site).

Again, many thanks!
Regards.
Len.