Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 07:44:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sys/net/bridge.c IPFIREWALL & DUMMYNET?  WTF?

Hi,

> Any reason that the IPFIREWALL and DUMMYNET code is present in
> sys/net/bridge.c?  It appears that it makes a number of bad assumptions
> and in general violates the semantics of 'bridging' vs. 'routing'.

the reason is that I needed that functionality, and according to
my experience most people who use bridging on FreeBSD do it just
because they can build a transparent firewall/traffic shaper.
They tell me there are very few if any solutions like this on the
market. So i don't think it is a good idea to remove this
feature which is a very strong selling point.

As for the quality of the code, (and i hope you refer to
the version just committed to -current/-stable) i myself i am
not terribly happy with it, but perhaps if you point out
what are the bad assumptions i make it would help me fix
the code.

	cheers
	luigi