Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:30:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Muditha Gunatilake <muditha@seychelles.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitions

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Muditha Gunatilake wrote:

> Hi,
> We are using POP and SMTP for our mail. The /var partition is almost
> full and everyday have to get people to remove large mails files to keep
> alive. What is the best way to add a new hard disk or reallocate some
> space from /home which has quite a bit of space left?

Method 1:

a) back the partition up.
b) delete the partition completely.
c) add a new disk.
d) make yourself a bigger var partition
e) put the data back in it.

It's a hassle, but any other method like soft linking home most of var
into home tends to lose the point of a /var partition.

Method 2:
Use less of /var, i.e. move log files you aren't too worried about
somewhere else or have a cron that chops them up regularly and puts the
digested data elsewhere. If it's mail filling it up you can get mail
delivered directly to someones home directory instead. You would need to
check out something like ftp://ftp.cs.columbia.edu/pub/hlfsd/README.hlfsd
or if you know how just change the local mailer you use, procmail will do
it for you.

Method 3:
*dons flame protection*
Other than that you could always just enlarge the size of the partition
with disklabel and hope it works, quite often it does if you play with
newfs a bit it'll work =)
*removes flame protection*

Method 4:
delete things. =)