Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:05:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sten <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with UDMA mode on XP1000

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it wrote:

> and is XP1000 IDE controller worse than PIO mode 4??
> seems like I Cannot make udma work with this promise.
> I cahnged 4 cables, no luck.
> I Also changed PCI Slot, the resul is KErnel crashing.
> IT works only if I put promise on the second PCI 64 bit slot.
> On the lower bottom 32 bit PCI Slot it crashes.

I had the same issues with my 164SX alpha, using a promise
card. This machine is a rackmount box that isn't particularly
cramped or em noisy. The solution for me was switching to an
umda33 cable wich works just fine.

My gut feeling is that there is something borking in the code,
but that particular machine is doing useful stuff so I can't
really test it.

I do have an alphastion500 and a promise laying around,
if there is demand then I'll go through the hasse of
verifying the card with mutiple cables.

--
Sten Spans

There is a crack in everything that's how the light gets in.