Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 20:27:24 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        IsolationX <iso-x@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-ROM

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, IsolationX wrote:

> In your hardware list you said "ATAPI compatible IDE CD-ROMs (should be
> considered experimental) " what do you mean by experimental?  Will I be
> able to use my atapi cd-rom without a major hassel or will i have to custom
> build a kernal and add support?

ATAPI support is built in by default in recent releases, and you'll
probably want to build a kernel anyhow, after you get to know the system
for a while. What is meant is that some models don't work, or only work
in specific configurations. Specificaly, no CDs work when connected to
the EIDE controller on a sound card, and some only work when configured
as the master on the secondary controller or the slave on the primary
controller. You may want to try and boot the install floppy (see the
installation docs for instructions on how to make one) and attempt to set
the CD as your media type (make sure you have a CD in the drive when you
boot). If this works, your CD is recognized and all is well.

Nadav