Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 03:05:42 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        "Bror 'Count' Heinola" <count@key.hole.fi>
Cc:        dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk (Developer), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with 100Mbit ethernet card?

>Developer taisi sanoa:
>
>> Another quick question, does FreeBSD current work with any 100Mbit
>> ethernet cards? If so which one should we buy?
>
>	I'm using an Allied Telesyn AT-2560TX 10/100Mbit card under
>	2.1.5-RELEASE. It works, gets recognized as Intel Pro/100B
>	but for unknown reason it can't transmit very fast.

   Can you clarify about "can't transmit very fast"? I get excellent
performance with the card myself - I'm using them in all of the machines
I have here.

>	I'd think that -current has the same driver or perhaps a newer
>	revision of the same.

   Right, it's the same driver. The only known problem is that I don't have a
work-around for a bug in the chip that causes it to lock up if it receives
garbage (can happen when you unplug the cable from the card). There's no
way to detect the hang except to notice that nothing is being received for
awhile. Newer revs of the chip don't have this problem.

-DG

David Greenman