Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:09:33 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB sound or other external sound?

> Tell them your disk has somehow got corrupted and windows doesn't seem
> to boot anymore :-)

I thought of that....

> Seriously, they should provide a Windows disk if they sold you windows
> so I'd get them to sort that out for you first.

Absolutely.  But apparently this is what they're doing now.  A similar
story about a Presario 1200 is reported on
Probably that's why it was cheap.

The problem is, I bought the machine in the US but I'm in France.
Also, the service centres here don't belong to Compaq, they're just
"authorised centres".  Maybe I'll try another one -- the compaq phone
customer service people gave me 3 or 4 places to try.  Certainly
fixing a sound card shouldn't depend on whether the machine is running
Windows or not.

> Where did you buy the laptop from? If you bought it through a dealer
> you'll probably get better support by going back to them because they
> (should) have more access to the repair centre than an end consumer
> would.

I bought it in CompUSA, in the US... they're not much help in France
though they'll defray the cost of repairs (the Compaq warranty isn't
valid outside the US).  But given that the machine works ok otherwise
and sound isn't a huge priority, I'm not even sure I want to get it
opened by someone of doubtful competence, and risk further damage.

Thanks -
Rahul