Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:23:15 +0200
From:      Jon Molin <jon.molin@resfeber.se>
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a new drive

Mike Nowlin wrote:

> On  0, Jon Molin <jon.molin@resfeber.se> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Before you just stopp reading with the thought 'duh, this question is for
> > freebsd-newbie' please read it becouse i've asked it both at newbie and
> > questions and haven't got any sullotion.
> >
> > What I'm trying to do is to simply add a new ide drive with only freebsd to
> > get some more space and i can't do it. Fdisk doesn't seems to write the info
> > to the drive. I've used it before so i know there's no problem with the drive
> > itself, tried both fat32 and ext2fs and that works just fine. The kernel finds
> > the drive:
> > ad3: 6187MB <FUJITSU MPB3064ATU> [13410/15/63] at ata1-slave UDMA33
>
> Easiest way to do this is to use /stand/sysinstall - be careful about it
> (think about what you're doing before you commit anything), but by using the
> fdisk & disklabel sections of the prog, it's pretty simple to add an extra
> drive...  It warns you that you should "only use this on a RUNNING system!"
> in certain places - that's normal.  You're basically editing what the system
> uses for mount points, etc.  Just don't muck around with your running
> drives...
>
> mike

Thanks for the quick reply Mike but i've tried that and it the same result
there, it doesn't save. Here's what i do:
Configure->Fdisk->ad3
In there i choose 'A' and i reply yes to if i want it to 'remain cooperative',
then i type 'w' to write and i choose 'none' boot mngr. And fdisk says
happily:

Wrote FDISK partition information out successfully.

After that i quit back to config menu, goes into label and there i just do an
'auto' to see if it works, there i get the following when i write:
Unable to add /dev/ad3s1b as a swap device: Device not configured
and similar errors for the rest of the partitions.

And then i exit out to the prompt and do 'fdisk ad3' with the same result as
before.
I've alos tried rebooting after fdisk before labeling (a guy told me to try
that) but that made no diff.

/jon