Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:30:08 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Sean Roth" <SRoth@mbakercorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd permissions question

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:06:33 EST, "Sean Roth" wrote:

> I have a system configured with a user account (johndoe for the sake of =
> conversation) who is in the operator group.

This is not a good idea, as group operator is allowed to do things like
shut the system down.  Accounts used to access the system via insecure
protocols should not be given high priveleges.  Use guest or a unique
group name.

The rest of your questions are better asked of the freebsd-questions
mailing list.

Good luck!

Ciao,
Sheldon.