Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 10:46:51 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Services Ltd

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 02:11:51PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> [ Disclaimer:  I was involved in the start up of FreeBSD Services Ltd
>   about a year ago.  Then BSDi happened and I pulled back.  I do not
>   have any financial interest in FreeBSD Services Ltd, but the people
>   running it are friends. ]
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 04:16:49PM -0700, Robert Clark wrote:
> > The have a picture of chuck holding a crescent wrench (adjustable
> > spanner) too. Using that graphic would require asking permission.
>
> Which was done, and given.

Great.

> > Using the name "FreeBSD" would require getting permission too.
>
> Which was done, and given.

Great.

> FSL is run by Paul Richards, who is also paul@freebsd.org.  Paul is
> one of the people from "the beginning" of FreeBSD, back in the 386BSD
> days, and he continues to commit code.
>
> The other director is Brian Somers.  That's the same Brian Somers as
> brian@freebsd.org, responsible for the (re)write of userland PPP in
> FreeBSD, and the continued implementation of new features in FreeBSD
> (and OpenBSD's) PPP.
>
> > So either they've done their homework, or they're looking for a
> > rumble.
>
> Get a life.  More organisations providing support and distribution of
> FreeBSD is a good thing.  Just ask *anyone* in Europe who has had to
> wait months for their CD subscription to arrive, and then paid heavy
> import tax when it does.

I'm glad to hear they are doing the right thing. It will be nice for
people in Europe. I just wonder what is going to happen to WC if
everyone starts selling their own version of FreeBSD.

> > Are DVD-ROM robust enough for everyday use?
>
> Yes.  FWIW, I helped someone at Usenix remove Linux from their Compaq
> laptop and install FreeBSD from the DVD which I had to hand (which,
> incidentally, are bootable).

I was trying to ask if DVD-ROM hold up well with less than careful
handling. I don't own any yet, so I don't know how well they handle
the occasional slip. CD-ROM take an incredible (to me) amount of
abuse, and are still readable.

(No, I am not anti-DVD, just curious.)

Thanks for the info Nik.