Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 20:21:56 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP-compliant motherboards

Hi,

Terry said:

> Is anyone supping?  I have been saving "interesting" messages in the SMP
> group, and a SUP file line would have been interesting (IMO), but I don't
> have one.  I conclude it hasn't been posted?
>
> My guess is:
>
> smp-sys release=cvs host=sup.FreeBSD.org hostbase=/home base=/b/cvstree prefix=
> /b/cvstree/smpcvs delete old use-rel-suffix

First, thanx to everyone who has helped so far, I'm real close (I think).

What I did:

installed 2.2-960612-SNAP

made a supfile that said:
src-sys release=smp ...
and succeeded in supping it

moved aside /usr/src/sys, checked out new SMP src/sys:
cvs -d MY_CVS_PATH checkout sys

cd src/sys; make all; make install
cd sys/i386/conf; [edit LOCAL, adding 'option SMP' ]; config LOCAL
cd ../../compile/LOCAL; make depend; make

kern_synch.c and ??? complained about "NCPU" not being defined.

after several false starts I found I could "fix" this by doing the config,
then editing LOCAL/opt_smp.h b4 "make depend; make", specifically:

#define SMP 1    # this was already here
#define NCPU 2   # this I added

then the kernel builds cleanly.  I am testing this with a NON SMP board,
so perhaps the following is expected???

It boots saying (something like):

FreeBSD/SMP: Uniprocessor kernel
[ all the normal boot messages ]
newmasks  bio c0000840, tty c003009a, net c00300b9

then wedges tight.

Questions:

  is the missing NCPU something I did, or a known bug?

  might this actually work if I had a real SMP motherboard?

thanx in advance...
--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD