Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2018 14:46:02 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        "Miroslav Lachman" <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable Stable" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: jail related inconsistencies in FreeBSD tools parameters

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 23:13:17 +0200 "Miroslav Lachman" <000=2Efbsd@quip=2Ecz> sa=
id

> I don't know if it is better to discuss it in jail@ or stable@ list so a=
=20
> do cross-post=2E
>=20
> FreeBSD has many jail aware utilities but they are inconsistent in=20
> taking JID as parameter=2E
>=20
> For example "sockstat" takes -j JID "Show only sockets belonging to the=
=20
> specified jail ID" and it means numeric ID only=2E
> On the other hand "ps" takes -J JID "This may be either the jid or name=
=20
> of the jail=2E  Use -J 0 to display only host processes=2E"
> The same apply for "top", it understands jid as a number or name of the=
=20
> jail too=2E
> Then again "cpuset" takes only numerical ID of the jail=2E=2E=2E
>=20
> Shouldn't it be consistent across all FreeBSD base utilities so all of=20
> them can use numerical ID and name?
Good idea! Are you offering to create a patch? ;-)
It'd be my guess that given they weren't all created at the same time, nor
the same individual; that (quite probably?) the "jail" additions were also
added at different times, and by different people=2E So I'd imagine that
unless someone with a commit bit decides one day they'd like to take that
on=2E Someone(tm) maybe you? will need to propose a patch=2E :-)

--Chris