Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:31:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, louie@transsys.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

> >eeee-gads...why? Can it by my firewall? can I add an ethernet for $60.? Can
> >I add a T1
> >for $200? Can it serve my Web pages? can it be my E-mail server?
>
> Can your Web or e-mail server boot up in 30 seconds or less?

yes

> Does your Web or e-mail server have NO moving parts?

no

> Can your Web or e-mail server function without a keyboard, monitor, monitor
> card, disk drive, floppy drive, etc?

yes, actually it could

> Can you fit 10-15 of your Web or e-mail servers in the space taken up by a
> standard large tower PC case?

maybe.

Kids, kids.  Quit the bickering.  We all know that FreeBSD sucks and Linux
rules.  This is the same argument, just different specifics.

A FreeBSD based router has many advantages.  Standard PC parts.  Same OS you
use for everything else.  Unified management, backup, monitoring strategies.
Inexpensive.  You get the source.  Many other advantages.

A dedicated (Cisco, etc) router has many advantages.  No moving parts.
Generally tends to be optimized for the job.  More specialized networking
abilities.  Many other advantages.

But NEITHER is the right choice for ALL situations.  I've been served well
by my FreeBSD-based routers.  I'm well aware of people who have been served
well by Cisco routers.  Look for the solution that gets the job done in the
most appropriate fashion in your environment, and then do it.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968