Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 12:31:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originat.demon.co.uk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, handy@sxt2.space.lockheed.com
Subject:   Re: Fixit Floppy Broken?

> All the binaries on the fixit floppy (actually, only one large super-
> binary anway) are gzipp'ed.
>
> > once, but never really get anywhere.  If I try booting with it again it
> > doesn't work.
>
> However, it's *not* the fixit floppy that's broken, it's the kernel on
> the boot (installation) floppy.  You can boot a plain 2.1R installation
> floppy, select F)ixit, and stick in a 2.2-SNAP fixit floppy then.

I strongly disagree.  The fixit floppy needs to be completely redone. I
wasn't aware that there was a single gzipped binary on it (has this
changed recently?) but that's frankly ridiculous. The fixit floppy
should work on any system as a last resort tool to recover from a fatal
error. Support for gzipped binaries isn't even present in a lot of kernels!

I think it's a design error to have fixit be shoe-horned into sysinstall.
Let's just have a plain and simple set of tools. If you're damaged to the
point where you need to use it then you're into the "expert" area and
a nice gui is not very relevant and is just a waste of space.

Now, if someone is concerned about naive users spamming themselves then
perhaps we need to think about an automated recovery disk but that's not
what fixit is all about.

--
  Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)