Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:54:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        ebd@oau.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP Problem

In article <200009170027.UAA58677@alfred.oau.org>, Elliot Dierksen
<ebd@oau.org> wrote:

> I was trying to do a cvsup today with the following cvsupfile:

First I should mention that CVSup is not a part of FreeBSD -- it's
an independent project.  So you should report CVSup problems to
<cvsup-bugs@polstra.com> as recommended in the "About" window and in
the output of "cvsup -v".

> Here is the error I got:
[...]
> Updater failed: Error in "/usr/sup/src-all/checkouts.cvs:RELENG_3": 49399:
> File is not sorted properly

That is a bookkeeping file which CVSup uses to keep track of the state
of things.  Somehow it got corrupted on your system.  It may be due
to HW problems or to kernel bugs.  You might wish to look at the file
with an editor to see what's wrong with it.  It's a text file, and the
49399 in the error message is the line number where the damage was
noticed.  Probably you will find a block of 0 bytes some multiple of
4K or 8K in size.

To recover, you can simply delete the file and run cvsup again.  It
will recreate the file for you.  The run will take a bit longer than
usual because of the extra work it has to do.

There is more info about this kind of problem in the CVSup FAQ at:

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/

John