Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:06:54 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New 3D software available

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > QDraw is a new open source 3D graphics api developed by the people that
> > wrote Direct3D. This new api is a lot easier to use than current versions
> > of Direct3D and has the advantage of being open source and portable across
> > Win9x, WinNT, FreeBSD and Linux. It includes a simple event model and
> > fullscreen support, allowing an application to be easily ported to
> > supported platforms.
>
> YES!  Given what I know about "the people who wrote Direct3D" and some
> of their previous affiliations, this is welcome news indeed!

This time, the software is not going to get locked up inside a huge
faceless corporation :-)

> I look forward to playing with this myself.  Are there any plans on
> cooperating with the Precision Insight folks on making this also take
> advantage of 3D hardware accelertion?  If you like, I can put you in
> touch with the Right People(tm) over there - they seem to know quite a
> bit about this topic and could help you ensure the best possible
> rendering performance on X-based desktops.

I know all the right people at PI and I spoke with them at SIGGRAPH. We
support OpenGL as a back-end driver so all of their efforts are directly
usable by our software. Their rendering architecture also allows the
possibility of direct hardware access so we may consider lower level
access for certain hardware, resources permitting.

> I can also put you in touch with the right people at Loki software
> if you'd like to explore the possibilities for Unix-based gaming...
>
> This is very cool - the screenshots are awesome!  Great work
> guys, especially on the license! :)

I have the guys at Qube well educated as to the benefits of a BSD style
license. We may actually try to make money on the software on a
paid-support angle but that isn't actually too important.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com