Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 2021 15:35:55 +0200
From:      Javier <nixlist@outlook.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Paritioning scheme on MBR disk doubts

On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:10:27 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> On 8/26/21 11:32 AM, Javier wrote:
>
> > And, so, I want to be sure what is allowed given the questions I
> > made. If I'm correct in my assumption with the 3rd case shown, or
> > totally wrong.
>

> I tried multi-boot back in the day.  It was an unreliable PITA.

Hi,

I suffered too, when I tried (very long ago), those multi-os
issues, but because I didn't even tried back then to understand what
was going on, bootloader settings, bootloaders installation options,
and so on. Not prepared for the paradigm.

This is going to be a long run.

If I have to give up, I'll give up, but I don't have dedicated
Hardware/disks for each OS, as you tell in your experiences, unless,
as you point, virtualization. That is not a bad idea, but, somehow,
limited, depending on your final use of the OS.

> > I could do all automatic, but I'm those that prefer to do manually
> > knowing what I'm doing. Or at least, what is happening in the
> > background.
>

> KISS.  Use the FreeBSD installer and choose the simplest options.
> Use a camera for screen captures and type up good notes in a second
> computer. Consider it an experiment that you will repeat several
> times over the next year as you learn.

I always had my own needs and automatic installations never fit them.
It may be fine for the average, not for me, but I thank your
thoughts :)

> Keep your data on a separate device (better yet, RAID).
>

> Get good at backup/ restore, archiving, and imaging.

Sure :)

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Regards.