Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2014 22:10:50 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports-mgmt/portupgrade and pkg 1.3

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 09:24:15AM +1200 I heard the voice of
Jonathan Chen, and lo! it spake thus:

> portupgrade appears to be a lot slower with the pkg-1.3 when it goes
> into its clean-up phase. The "pkg which -q ..." that portupgrade
> performs during that phase appears to be taking quite a bit longer
> that the older version did.

This is a combo of "portupgrade beating the crap out of pkg" and "pkg
beating the crap out of your disk".  For tha latter, see a quick
rundown at <https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/issues/905>; you can see
the difference with/out the locking yourself with that command line.

For the former, see a fix at
<https://github.com/freebsd/portupgrade/pull/60>; which seems to
eliminate it (at least, it should only slow down when it really has a
lot of stuff to do).

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net