Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 01:26:50 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NF7100R - Quad-Xeon machine ...

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Anyone have any experience with this?  The server that we are picking this
> > up to upgrade is currently running FreeBSD, and it was pretty much my
> > first FreeBSD "slipped through the cracks" ... I'd prefer *not* to have to
> > go to Solaris/x86 to support it, so ...
> >
> > The machine is spec'd out as:
> >
> > 	NF7100R/Xeon 700/1024KB/256MB/10 HS HDD/6HS PCI
> > 	+ Nefinity 700Mhz/1MB Upgrade II With Pentium III Xeon Processor
> > 	+ ServeRAID-4M Ultra 160 SCSI Controller
> >
> > I know there is a major cleanup/rewrite of the SMP code going on, and very
> > much look forward to seeing that when it comes out ... I just want to be
> > reasonably comfortable that FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE is going to be STABLE on
> > that hardware ...
>
> You'll need a different RAID controller, since I haven't had the
> opportunity to produce support for the ServeRAID, and you might want

damn damn damn :(  anything that I can do once this box gets in to help
move that forward?  I work at a "mostly Solaris" shop, and over the next
year, the acting director of our dept happens to be someone that, over the
past 3 years, I've been able to educate in the benefits of moving towards
FreeBSD ... this past week, Sun put a nail in its coffin by letting her
know that they don't have much commitment to Solaris/x86, so I have ~6
machines that are going to be converted over to FreeBSD over the next year
... two of them are Netfinity servers, plus this new one coming in.  I
don't mind dedicating the resources, and time, required to be able to
support this, I just don't have the experience :(

> to have a known-good ethernet card to hand because I had some funky
> experiences with the old NF7000's and their onboard ethernet, but the
> box itself should be fine.

S'alright, in this, I won't touch anything but Intel cards ... about the
only one that I've had very consistent good luck with across various OSs
:)