Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 05:16:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      torstenb@vmunix.org (Torsten Blum)
To:        uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Streaming MPEG..

In freebsd-multimedia you wrote:

>> Note that "I-frame crippled" MPEG has pretty poor
>> compression/quality, compared to "real" MPEG streams
>> (with I, B and P frames).
[...]
>man vic, from 1995, says, that MPEG isnt supported yet,

Have a look at http://videolab.uoregon.edu/mim/
It's basically decapsulating the MPEG/RTP frames it receives from a
multicast group and feeds it to mtvp (the commandline version).
Works quite nice. I've been using it to view MPEG1 streams generated by
Cisco's IPTV.

>contrary to former plans, and I saw a big SGI Media server,
>that can stream 100 MPEG streams...but this is broadband.

The only multicat capable MPEG streaming server I know is Cisco's IPTV
and that's running on NiceTry ;( It claims to support MPEG2 and MPEG4 as
well.

 -tb