Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:02:46 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>, abi <abi@abinet.ru>
Cc:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of synth following expulsion of John Marino?

On 16/02/2017 05:28, Adam Weinberger wrote:

>>> I don't recommend portmaster for anybody. It's unmaintained, it
>>> already causes headaches on upgrades, and even though it works
>>> now, it is unlikely to keep working as the ports tree evolves.
>>
>> This is FUD. Yes, portmaster can be less maintained, but it works
>> without observable issues, at least I don't see any problems with
>> it on my systems. synth and poudriere lacks the ability to set and
>> maintain port options recursively, eliminating any practical (from
>> user perspective, not developer) use of such software stand alone.
>
> Sure it does.
>
> poudriere options -j jailname editors/vim
>
> Sets options recursively.
>
> Not seeing any problems with it right now isn't the point of my
> message. The point is that portmaster WILL break when new features
> (currently in progress) are added to the ports build system, and
> being unmaintained, there's no guarantees that it will ever unbreak.

I used to do that sort thing in tinderbox, with poudriere and the new
options framework I prefer to set my options in make.conf.

For every build -
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf

OPTIONS_SET= OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS SIMD PGSQL IPV6
editors_vim_SET= CSCOPE X11 GTK3 PYTHON

You can also get more specific by using -

/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<setname>-make.conf
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<tree>-make.conf
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<jailname>-make.conf
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<jailname>-<tree>-make.conf
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<jailname>-<setname>-make.conf

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler