Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 1995 12:37:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Burgess <burgess@s069.infonet.net>
To:        bmoffatt@byron.apana.org.au (Bruce Moffatt)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Driving Canon bj10e

> Problem:
> I am running freebsd 1.1 on a 486-33. I have a Canon bj10e on lpt0, which
> is giving good output (now that I have switched dip switch 6 to add auto
> CR to LF), but the printer runs so slowly its not a workable solution.
> The same printer on the same system but running DOS works ok, but under
> FreeBSD it seems to get about 10 chars or so, then wait, then do the next
> 10 etc...

You could have also used a control code in the ff: command in the
printcap to acheive the same end.  That way, you could set up several
'print devices' that all have different configurations in the printcap,
all pointing to the same printer.  You wouldn't have to reset the port
for those times that CR+LF should NOT be interpreted.

> I don't know where to start to configure this up. I only have the binary
> source tree, as space is at a premium, and all the misc FAQs come in the
> source tree. :(

Someone suggested to me that another distribution (the docdist) be
created with all of the FAQs and stuff on it.  It should also include
the instructions from the gnu tree on getting UUCP running and the
/usr/share/doc directory.  Currently, these are only released as part of
the source dist (in /usr/src/share/doc).

> I will be upgrading to FreeBSD 2.? as soon as I am comfortable I can tame
> the beast (hopefully 2.1 will install easier than 2.0)
> Any help on printer problem gratefully accepted. :)
> Thanx,
> Bruce

Assuming that FreeBSD is using a (more or less) similar driver, the
NetBSD folks have seen this problem as well.

Through experimentation (and a location of a possible bug) we have come
to the conclusion that the lpt (interrupt driven) driver just doesn't work
very well.  The lpa device seems to work much more reliably and much more
quickly.  In fact, several of us have found that printers which reset
immediately (in the middle of a print, for example) should be attached
as the non-resetting device and a 'reset device' command be sent in the
ff: command in the printcap.